Monday, August 24, 2009

End of Wilton Course 1

The Wilton Method of Cake Decorating Course 1 has ended.. 4 weeks seems to pass by very fast.. We only had 4 lessons but it was really fun.. Learnt new things and how to decorate the proper way.. haha.. Well, the one part that was not fun is the clean up though.. The buttercream used is so oily.. Hmm.. I think everybody in class had fun and really came up with gorgeous cakes in the final class.. Here they are: I love this cake for it's huge, dramatic roses and it looks really well done.. I'm really wondering how she made the roses so big.. I tried making mine bigger but it wasn't successful.. haha.. It's really really pretty... I was in awe...

I love her courageous use of bold colours... haha.. I wanted to make a bright coloured cake too but I was always thinking.. "would I eat such brightly-coloured cakes?".. Hmm.. But it was really cool.. A very good centrepiece for themed parties.. And I really love her asymmetrical design.. It's really something refreshing apart from the all the decorations in the Course 1 book.. Looks more modern to me..

Hers was really sweet-looking.. Would be a very beautiful piece for those sunday afternoon tea.. haha.. I like her leaves.. It looks like roses were really resting nicely on it.. I'm not good at describing but it looks more realistic.. And her roses looks really stunning..

And here's mine.. *grins*.. Truth be told.. I think it looks boring and very safe.. I really wanted to do a more 'arty' and daring cake.. but I was pressed for time and I didn't have any inspiration.. And I wanted to do something that I can eat.. Moreover, like I always said, I'm a simple person.. and taste is always the priority.. I didn't use the class buttercream to frost the cake cause the class buttercream is extremely sweet that I somehow get a nauseating feeling after eating it.. Haha.. Im serious.. I can't handle the sweetness..

I've been wanting to try one of the recipes that has been laying in my recipe file... I chose Triple Layer Lemon Chiffon Cake... I had a few lemons in the fridge unused and concentrated lemon juice at Cold Storage was on sale.. hahaha.. On top of that, I've been wanting to try and taste lemon curd which was used as filling in the cake.. So I ended up with this pretty yellow cake.. The frosting was a sort of lemon cream.. It wasn't so stiff.. I had to refrigerate it a few times before frosting.. I was so worried that it would get all runny on the way to class the next day... But it was ok.. Anyway, there was a fridge in the class... :)
My decorations were simple.. But I love the roses.. Although not perfect, I think it was a job well done.. It wasn't easy.. I was doing it like after midnight after completing my cake orders.. Sat in the kitchen struggling to keep my eyes open.. Determined to finished 12 roses that night.. In the end, I only used 6 most suitable and nicest ones.. It was all worth the hard work.. Oh yeah, the cake was really nice... Light and refreshing and the flowers and decorations add a nice touch of sweetness to it.. *Smiles* Good Job Everyone!! Hopefully I can afford and go the Course 2 soon.. If they open the class on Saturdays.. Hmm..

~I know you like to thank your shit
Don't stank.. But lean a lil' bit closer
See that roses really smell like
Booo ooo ooo~

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite blog. I like all the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.. I'm glad somebody liked it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice write-up on the cakes! I didn't think about not using the Wilton Buttercream for the frosting. Next time, I will use other frosting - I agree it's too sweet and taste should be the priority!

    Your classmate, Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha Khas, I didn't expect I can see my cake on your blog :)
    I tried to remove all the frills on the roses by putting more pressure, then only realized when I saw your roses compare to mine....mine was so huge hahaha...
    Btw, nice blog (^-^)

    ReplyDelete