Monday, May 11, 2009

Devil's Food Cupcakes vs Devil's Food Cupcakes


I decided to try another chocolate cupcakes recipe that I had in my recipe file... Both with same name but I took from different website.. Both I've been wanting to try.. to see which is better tasting.. All of the ingredients are the same except that one calls for milk, the other calls for cold water... But of course both have varying amount of ingredients.. I used the same frosting on both as I've been wanting to try this frosting taken from another blog... It sounds really irresistable and looks really pure and white.. I love colour contrast on my food and clothes.. haha..

As usual, my notes are in RED...

Devil's Food Cupcakes [1] (taken from http://cupcakeblog.com)

2 cups flour (I suppose it's all purpose flour)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

1. Measure out everything but the eggs directly into your mixer bowl.

2. Mix on low speed just until incorporated.

3. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.

4. Add eggs, beat on high speed again for 2 minutes.
5. Measure out into cupcake pan lined with cupcake papers. Bake for 15-20 minute in a 350 deg F (~175 deg cel) until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly inthe pan then transfer to a rack to cool completely before frosting. (I fill the cups till 3/4 full for cupcakes to rise nicely just a bit above the cupcake papers).


Devil's Food Cupcake [2] (taken from http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/)

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups cold water

1. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (~175 deg cel).

2. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.

4. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

5. Add flour mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. (Start with flour first and then water and end with flour)

6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Buttercream Dream Icing (taken from http://www.therepressed pastrychef.com)

1 stick salted butter, room temperature (~110g)
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup shortening (~250g)
1 tbsp clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioner's sugar (I used est. 750g, just as long as the frosting is stiff enough for me cos it will be really sweet to used 2 pounds)
4-6 tbsp very cold milk

1. Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add the clear vanilla extract and combine well.

2. Begin adding the sugar and mixing thorougly after each addition. ( I added a few spoons at one time to check the stiffness of the frosting and stopped at your desired consistency).

3. After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milk one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition until you reached the desired consistency. (you can half the recipe if you dun intend to frost a lot of cupcakes, any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator).
Sooo... In my opinion, I prefer the Devil's Food Cupcake [2] cos it has a better taste that compliments the frosting. In terms of texture I prefer [2] too.. But I would say that Devil's Food Cupcake [1] is softer.. It's nice but somehow it's has a weird aftertaste for me and sometimes tasteless... I'm not really good at describing food and I don't feel good being critical of people's recipe... It really depends on your preference again.. For those who prefer less sweet, maybe [1] would be good for you.. But for me, i prefer [2]. But both makes equally presentable cupcakes that does not sink or rise too much.
As for the frosting, I totally love it... I used to make white chocolate buttercream for most of my chocolate cupcake recipe.. But this new recipe is really nicer and lighter than white chocolate recipe.. And I like it.. It's also as sweet as white chocolate frosting but all frosting are meant to be very sweet.. And the colour is almost white which makes it really pretty against the chocoalte cupcake. Hence, i usually make a lot of the frosting and keep it for other cupcakes that I make in the future..
~If you.. if you could return
Don't let it burn... Don't let fade..~

1 comment:

  1. Khas, the frosting call for shortening. Did u use that much (250g) of shortening?. cos shortening leaves that weird after taste. I've not tried making frosting using shortening. Thnx

    ReplyDelete