Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Chewy

The first cookie recipe that I made in my new oven.. I've been wanting to make cookies but my old oven always burnt the cookies.. haha.. So finally.. I successfully bake cookies.. I love big chewy cookies.. Especially those from Subway.. My fave is double chocolate cookie, Oatmeal Raisin, White choc macadamia.. ALL from Subway... All except chocolate chip.. I have no idea why.. but I don't like chocolate chip cookies.. or cookies with nuts.. I like crunchy cookies from Famous Amos but I still prefer my chewy cookies.. Call me crazy...

These cookies were soft and chewy or were they just soft?? Hmm.. I dunno.. I made them like in advance and put the batter in the fridge.. I read somewhere that if you keep cookie dough in the fridge for one day, the cookies will bake to be more chewy.. For those people who like chewy cookies like me.. But this recipe is originally suppose to be chewy rite?? Haha.. I dunno.. I shall experiment again..to bake right after making it.. see whether it's chewy or slightly crunchy?? But the recipe calls to chill the dough though.. But never state how long.. haha..


The Chewy (taken from http://www.therepressedpastrychef.com/)
(my notes in red)

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cup bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt (I used normal salt)
1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or any other toppings you have in mind)

1. Heat oven to 375 deg F (~175 dec cel)

2. Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.

3. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and the brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed.

4. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tbsp milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips. (I used cranberries and white chocolate AND cranberries and chocolate chips)

6. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lines baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. (The dough will be kinda soft, more to batter. Just use spoons to scoop them and pressed them down abit. The batter will spread but not that much). Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets for even browning.

7. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

~Don't you love the life you killed..
The priest if on the phone
Your father hit the wall
Your ma disowned you..~

No comments:

Post a Comment