Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Im feeling Orange-y~

Lately, I've been doing a few recipes that has got to do with oranges.. Not sure whether it's because of the oranges that I bought since so long ago or I just feel like using it.. Maybe it's more to feeling citrus-ey and zest-y that made me want to use it... Plus maybe 20% of it is because the oranges have been sitting there for so long.. *grins*

I've been wanting to make this recipe for quite long.. I've always like Biscotti.. Good for my coffee breaks or breakfast.. In my dreams of course... Hahaha.. I rarely have breakfasts and coffee breaks... But that's what I imagine how I would like to have my biscotti..Coffee on my side while flipping through a magazine and dunking the biscotti in the coffee... The mood and ambience.. Lol..

Biscotti originates from the midieval Latin word "biscoctus" meaning twice cooked/baked. It has that hard and crispy characteristics because when it is baked the 2nd time, moisture is removed.. hence, it should be able to keep for a longer period of time provided if you keep it in an airtight container. 

The recipe used almond extract.. I'm not a big fan of almond.. To me, it smells like medicine and I hate the smell.. When cookies or cakes have almond smell or taste, I just avoid it.. Unless it bearable.. I don't know why people like it?? Why?? *wondering looks* But I can eat almond nuts.. But i'm not really a fan of nuts except for Peanut Butter and anything Reese.. hehe..

To overcome the strong almond smell and taste, I decided to add orange and cranberries.. That is my favourite combi of all time.. Nothing goes so well like orange and cranberries.. Just like how the forest needs the rain, cranberries need orange to perk it up... -_-' I know it's lame.. 

I had to search for cornmeal flour up and down.. It's so hard to get cornmeal flour in Singapore.. Or maybe I've been searching at the wrong places.. Thank god Phoon Huat manufactures it now.. Anywaayy.. It's really yummy addictive.. but I think I like my bicotti thinner..

Almond Biscotti (adapted from Baking from my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan) 
[my notes in Red]

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal flour
1 stick (~115g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds, blanched or unblanched
1/3 cup dried cranberries, cut into small pcs (optional)
Zest of one orange (optional)

1. Centre a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 deg F (~175 deg C). Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

2. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the cornmeal and whisk again to blend.

3. Add the orange zest to the sugar and rub it with your fingers.

4. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter and "oranged-sugar" together at medium speed for 3 minutes, until very smooth.

5. Add the eggs (all the eggs) and continue to beat, scraping down the bowl as needed, for another 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light and smooth and creamy.

6. Beat in the almond extract. Reduce the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they are incorporated. You'll have a soft stick-to-your-fingers dough that will ball up around the paddle or beaters. (it won't really ball up but you can somehow see that it will clump together more after a while) 

7. Toss in the almonds and dried cranberries and mix just to blend.(remember not to blend so long. Stop when u you see it mixed enough.) 

8. Scrape half the dough onto one side of the baking sheet. Using your fingers and rubber spatula or scraper, work the dough into a log about 12 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide(these are estimated lengths). The log will be more rectangular than domed, and bumpy, rough and uneven.

9. Form a second log with the remaining dough on the other side of the baking sheet. (Leave a space in between two logs as it batter will tend to expand slightly, upwards and sideways).

10. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the logs are lightly golden but still soft and springy to touch. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and cool the logs on the baking sheet for 30 minutes

11. If you turned off your oven, bring it back up to 350 deg F (~175 deg C).

12. Using a wide spatula, transfer the logs to a cutting board and, with a long serrated knife, trim the ends and cut the logs into 3/4inch thick slices (I assume it can be thinner if your knife is sharp enough).

13. Return the slices to the baking sheet - this time standing them up like a marching band - and slide the sheet back to the oven (Doesn't really matter if it can't stand, Just lay them nicely).

14. Bake the biscotti for another 15 minutes, or until they are golden and firm. Transfer them to racks and cool to room temperature.  

~You and me, we can ride on a star
If you stay by my side
We can rule the world~

No comments:

Post a Comment