Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cookies 'n' Cream Cheesecake a.k.a Oreo Cheesecake


I was craving for Oreo Cheesecake the other day.. So I decided to make one myself.. I found the recipe in a book that I borrowed..Cheesecake Seduction by Catherine Lau... The pictures in the book was so marvelous that it makes me crave for it..

I couldn't wait to eat it after it came out from the oven but I had to refrigerate it for a night.. The verdict? Well, it taste very normal though it looks tempting and really delicious.. Nothing special actually.. But I was happy with it.. :)

Oh yeah, after reading through all the recipes in the book, I wasn't sure whether whipping cream refers to single cream or heavy cream. Would using heavy cream affects anything? Hmm.. Does anybody know the and answers?

Cookies 'n' Cream Cheesecake (adapted from Cheesecake Seduction by Catherine Lau)
Makes one 23 cm cake (I halved the recipe though. Made a 6" tall cheesecake)

Base
120g butter, diced
200g digestive biscuit, finely crushed
3 tbsp brown sugar
50g cornflakes, crushed
30g cocoa powder, sifted
My version (6" base):

8 Oreos, crushed
2-3 tbsp butter, melted

Filling
750g cream cheese
140g castor sugar
2 tsp vanilla flavouring
20g cornflour, sifted
300 ml whipping cream (I used heavy cream cos that's what I have)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
300g Chocolate sandwich cookies (obviously I used Oreos, i used 14 Oreos for 1/2 batch)
250ml milk

Glaze
50g Apricot Glaze
50ml water

Method:

Base
1. Prepare biscuit base. The problem here is that the book had missing pages which consists of the method to prepare the base. I will assume that the method is to mix all the dry ingredients until evenly combine. Then mix in the butter till it becomes a lumpy enough to form a base. Hmm.. I'm just assuming and imagining how it would be done. :) But from my experience, this can be done. Preheat oven to 150 deg C.

My version:
1. Pour the melted butter on the crushed Oreos and mix well. Cover the base with the mixture and use a glass to press it down to the pan. Use your fingers to press down all the corners of the pan so that it will be level with the middle area.

Filling
1. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla flavouring and cornflour, and beat until smooth. Add cream and blend until mixture thickens. Slowly pour in eggs and mix until just combined.

2. Pour half the filling on biscuit base. Dip half the cookies in milk then arrange on filling. Pour remaining filling on cookies. Dip remaining cookies in milk then press into filling.

3. Place pan in water bath. Bake for 1 hour or until filling is set but still soft in the centre. Turn oven off. Leave the cake in oven for 30 minutes with door closed. Remove water bath. Lave cake to cool completely in oven with door ajar.

4. Cover cake and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before removing from pan.

Glaze
1. Stir in apricot glaze and water over low heat util glaze dissolves. Leave to cool slightly, then brush over top of cake.

~You're the one who set it up..
Now you're the one to make it stop
I'm the one who's feeling lost..right now~

No comments:

Post a Comment