Monday, March 23, 2009

Vanilla Cupcakes with Simple Frosting


Almost every food blog I went, the authors are searching for the perfect vanilla cupcakes.. Well, i haven't found mine yet.. But I've always found comfort in vanilla cupcakes rather than chocolate.. I'm not sure why Im not such a fan of chocolate things.. I love chocolate.. But if there's a chocalate cake, there should be a vanilla cream or something white.. I do not like overdose of chocolate.. Unless it the Guanaja cake from Rive Gauche.. haha.. It depends but usually I don't really like too chocolatey stuffs..

Anyway, im digressing again.. So.. vanilla cupcakes.. I'm still searching for the perfect vanilla cake.. I like mine to be more cakey than moist for the cupcakes.. So I think Martha Stewart's is the best BUT i find it a bit tooo cakey and dry.. Haha.. I know.. So contradicting rite.. Hmm.. well.. till then.. my search continues..

Actually this post is to focus on the frosting which was the simplest frosting I ever made and it's nice on plain cupcakes.. And I think it would go well with various other deserts.. It appears glossy when you make it but once you frost it, it will go matt and hardened.. But when you eat it, it won't like break into pieces or anything.. Haha.. It's still soft but not that liquidy.. It's some sort like meringue tasting.. Super Sweet~ However, please keep in mind that the frosting's not something that can be piped.. :)

Magnolia's Famous Vanilla Cupcakes (taken from http://cupcakerehab.com/)

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (175 deg cel)

2. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcakes papers

3. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

4. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well afer each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Using the rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.

6. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarter full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.

7. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. remove from the tine and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Simple Sugar Frosting (told from my sis who watched Nigella on tv)

2 egg whites
150g icing sugar
1 tbsp of lemon juice
Just beat the egg whites and sugar together and add the lemon juice.. If you want a less liquid consistency, add less lemon juice.. Or just add more sugar if it become to liquidy.. Or you can always store in the fridge for a while..

~I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven~

No comments:

Post a Comment