Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I love Ruffles and Anything Sweet.. on Cakes

I chanced upon this blog while I was surfing the net quite a while ago.. She had a very interesting blog where she will teach you different techniques to decorate cakes and cupcakes. It was really interactive. You could even pay to watch video tutorials. But there was one cake I fell in love with.. which is the petal effect cake.. You can see it by clicking here..I knew I had to do it one day. 


When someone wanted to order a rainbow cake and it was the birthday of a pretty lady.. I decided to make a pretty cake.. :) I was quite nervous about it because it should be done with a stiff/frosting buttercream. I was never a fan of the very very sweet buttercream. I always like my cakes with swiss meringue buttercream. The only thing bad about SMBC is that is gets kinda melt-y very fast especially in SIngapore's weather. SMBC doesn't melt on the cake but it melts in the piping bag when I am piping it. Maybe because of the warmth from my palms. So, fridge is my best friend and I had to do everything very fast. 


This is how it looks like:
I found out that it is possible to do this design with SMBC but you got to be patient and not fuss about some messy parts. I have a lot more to improve on it though. I couldn't get the joining end to blend that well. So, I covered with some pearl dragees. It looks kinda empty on top but I think a nice big flower would look good! 
Oh, if you're wondering how the insides look like.. Hmm.. 
Well, this was the layers before I manage to put the SMBC filling in between. But the cake makes you smile doesn't it? :)


~Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high..~

No comments:

Post a Comment